Medical Assistants are the oil that keeps the machine running in Healthcare Facilities. They work Administration in the Front Office as well as Clinical Tasks in direct care to the patient. They perform any task necessary to ensure that the physician can provide quality treatment.The occupation should not be confused with Physician Assistants, who are licensed professionals trained to practice medicine and surgical procedures under the supervision of a Physician.
Whether a Medical Assistant performs only Administrative Tasks, only Clinical Tasks or both often depends upon the size of the practice in which they work. Medical Assistants in larger practices tend to specialize, while those in smaller practices do everything.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
* Medical Terminology
* Anatomy And Physiology
* Office Practices
* Computer Skills
* Laboratory Techniques
* Administration Of Medication
* Customer Service
Administrative Duties include:
* Perform general office duties such as answering telephones, taking dictation & completing insurance forms.
* Greet & log in patients arriving at office or clinic.
* Update & file patients' medical records
* Schedule appointments for patients.
* Keep financial records
* Perform billing & bookkeeping duties such as: handling credit & collections, filling out insurance forms, handling correspondence and mailing monthly statements to patients.
* Contact medical facilities or departments to schedule patients for tests.
* Arrange patients' hospital admission & laboratory services
* Inventory & order medical, lab, & office supplies and equipment.
* Authorize drug refills & provide prescription information to pharmacies.
* Perform tasks for Optometrists, Podiatrists, Dentists, and other specialists.
Clinical Duties vary according to state law & may include:
* Prepare treatment rooms for patient examinations & keeping the rooms neat & clean.
* Show patients to examination rooms & prepare them for the physician.
* Interview patients to obtain medical information & measure their vital signs, weight, & height.
* Explain treatment procedures, medications, diets & physicians' instructions to patients.
* Record patients' medical history, vital statistics & information such as test results in medical records.
* Collect blood, tissue or other laboratory specimens, log the specimens, & prepare them for testing.
* Change dressings on wounds.
* Give Physiotherapy Treatments, such as Diathermy, Galvanics, & Hydrotherapy.
* Set up Medical Laboratory Equipment.
* Operate X-Ray, Electrocardiogram (EKG), & other equipment to administer routine diagnostic tests.
* Perform routine laboratory tests & sample analyses.
* Clean & sterilize instruments.
* Dispose of contaminated supplies.
* Assist the Physician during the examination, handing them instruments & materials or performing such tasks as giving injections & removing sutures.
* Administer medications under a Physician's supervision
Types of Medical Assistants
* Medical Assistant
* Clinical Medical Assistant
* Administrative Medical Assistant
* Specialized Medical Assistant
* Medical Records Clerk
* Medical Secretary
* Medical Office Assistant
* Clinical Assistant
* Assistant Medical Officer
* Ophthalmic Assistant
* Pharmacy Service Clerk