If you are an experienced Hospital Doula here is your most valuable resource – a guide to advanced skills, tips, tricks and techniques.
Based on the belief that people become empowered through experiences which awaken within them the knowledge that they are strong, capable and wise; discover how a Doula’s actions from interview to last postpartum can increase the potential for this self discovery.
* Expand with business, marketing and social media skills
* Form healthy working partnerships
* Clear birth prejudices, prevent trauma and dive deeper with clients
* Utilize the hospital setting to your advantage
* Build knowledge about interventions, lactation, and remedies
* Learn about transitioning into a Lactation Consultant or Midwife
Combining facts, humor, and a grounded empowered voice, you’ll find the skills taught invaluable, making it one of the most important labor companion books you’ll ever read and recommend.
Practicing as a Midwife today requires not only good clinical skills but also a broad understanding of the social and emotional changes a woman experiences before and after birth. This book combines scientific knowledge with the more intangible skills needed for sensitive communication to provide the best possible care to the mother and her family.
The 2nd edition of this celebrated text vividly explores the various skills and approaches that lead to successful Midwifery Practice and uses care stories to bring these to life.
* Provides a refreshingly new approach to key areas of Midwifery Practice in a way that brings practice to life.
* Illustrates and supports the fundamental changes currently taking place in Midwifery around the world.
* Builds on the most up-to-date, evidence-based research to suggest guidelines for best practices.
* Explores the impact of parenthood and offers strategies for effectively supporting individuals during this period of transition.
* Includes "Care Stories" - case studies that highlight positive Midwifery care and successful childbirth experiences.
* Offers contrasting stories from around the world, illustrating how maternity care in industrialized society differs from that in a non-industrial or third world environment.
* Provides up-to-date research and reference material.
Nurse-Midwives often find themselves in situations where current research-based treatment conflicts with established practices that may be ineffective or even harmful. This text provides a roadmap for Nurse-Midwives who strive to implement change through evidence-based practice by presenting the most current evidence-based research on the care of childbearing women. It is the only book about evidence-based practice for Nurse-Midwives that encompasses the most controversial areas of practice. The text incorporates the foundations of midwifery and the midwifery model of care throughout.
The book discusses the use of electronic databases in examining evidence and identifying best practices. It considers how the current workforce environment affects the practice of Nurse-Midwifery, and describes evidence-based practices in the care of childbearing women. Each chapter reviews current literature, describes contemporary practices and explores whether these practices are based on scientific evidence. Case Studies enhance the examination of evidence and the identification of best practices.
* Focuses on scientific evidence as the framework for the practice of Nurse-Midwifery
* Incorporates the hallmarks of midwifery and the midwifery model of care
* Examines practices that are in conflict with scientific evidence
* Provides guidance for practicing Nurse-Midwives in implementing best practices based upon scientific evidence