Your Personal Tour Guide To The History Of The World
Want to know more about Global History? This concise guide explains in clear detail all the major players and events that have made the world what it is today. Covering the entirety of Human History, this comprehensive resource highlights important developments in everything from religion & science to art & war — giving you an understanding of how the 21st Century world came to be.
* Begin to connect with the past — label the eras as you meet the Neanderthals, home in on Homer, raise Atlantis, and preserve Pharaohs
* Find strength in numbers — trace the growth from ancient civilizations to today's global community and discover what makes societies succeed or fail
* Discover the impact of thought — explore the rise of religion, the roots of philosophy, and the advance of science — and how our feelings and beliefs continually redefined us
* Know the global consequences of war — ride with the Greeks and the Romans, arm yourself with the cavalry, dig the trenches, and follow the paths humans took to wage modern war
* Meet the movers and shakers — from great leaders and courageous revolutionaries to ruthless tyrants and unsung heroes
* Examine significant events of the 21st Century — from 9/11 and the Afghanistan and Iraq wars to climate change, Hurricane Katrina, and the economic rise of China, India, and Brazil
Open the book and find:
* A detailed overview of History
* The development of the world's religions
* Reviews of essential historical documents, from the Bible to the Bill of Rights
* The invention of writing and art
* Scientific developments that revolutionized the world
* Capsule biographies of people who changed History — and a few who were changed by it
* Ten unforgettable dates in World History
The Compact History of a Giant Country.
American History is one of those subjects that students frequently labor over and can seem like a random collection of names, dates, and events. Understood as a collective biography and free of the cheerleading found in many text books, the fully updated fifth edition of The Complete Idiot's Guide to American History explains the changing tides in America's most pivotal periods.
* From a seasoned author and researcher.
* The most current and comprehensive series title on American History.
* Heightened interest right now in the question of how America got where we are - a question that can only be answered by an understanding of History.
Who really discovered America? What was "the shot heard 'round the world"?
9/11: What really happened? How did America elect its first black president?
From the arrival of Columbus through the historic election of Barack Obama and beyond, Davis carries readers on a rollicking ride through more than five hundred years of American History. In this newly revised, expanded, and updated edition of the classic anti-textbook, he debunks, recounts, and serves up the real story behind the myths and fallacies of American History.